Child Support for a New Decade

Child support is always a touchy subject. Child support used to be calculated by taking the non-custodial parent’s net income and basing the amount of child support each month on a certain percentage of net income. This number will depend on the number of children being supported.

Calculating Child Support

In the last two years, the state of Minnesota has re-vamped the child support calculation system so that both parent’s incomes are included in the child support calculation. The calculation is now a three step process:

  • The state will look at the base amount of money needed to support the child each month. Let’s say this amount is $1,000.
  • The state will then look at the combined income of both parents as well as the individual income. Let’s say parent 1 makes $4,000 per month while parent 2 makes $1,000 per month with a combined income of $5,000 per month.
  • The obligor parent will then pay a percentage of the base amount based upon his or her proportional share of the combined income. So, in this instance, parent 1 will pay 80% of the $1,000 ($800) while parent 2 will be responsible for the other $200 or 20%.

Additonal Factors to Consider

Keep in mind that the support number is reduced to reflect parenting time that the obligor has. If parent 1 has little or no parenting time, then there is no reduction in the child support. However, if the parents share custody, then this is also factored into the equation and often results in a much different ratio for both parents.

Contact Schneider, Baudler & Abbott PC

If you are facing a divorce or child custody battle or if you need legal advice on any child support matter, it is important to speak to a qualified family law attorney right away. The sooner you make the call, the quicker our lawyers can get to work on your case and the better for everyone involved, especially the children. Contact Schneider, Baudler & Abbott PC today at 763-315-1100 or by e-mail to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced divorce lawyers.

Minneapolis Divorce Lawyer & Attorney

Schneider, Baudler & Abbott PC represent clients throughout the Minneapolis metropolitan area, including the city of Albertville, Andover, Anoka, Arden Hills, Becker, Blaine, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Buffalo, Champlin, Circle Pines, Columbia Heights, Coon Rapids, Crystal, Dayton, East Bethel, Elk River, Fridley, Golden Valley, Ham Lake, Hopkins, Independence, Lino Lakes, Maple Grove, Medina, Melrose, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Minnetrista, Monticello, Mound, New Hope, Norwood Young America, Oak Grove, Orono, Otsego, Plymouth, Princeton, Ramsey, Richfield, Robbinsdale, Rockford, Rogers, Shorewood, Spring Lake Park, St. Francis, St. Louis Park, St. Michael, Wayzata and Zimmerman.