Minnesota Child Protection Lawyer

CHIPS is an abbreviation for “Child In Need of Protection or Services.” CHIPS cases typically arise out of allegations of child abuse, child neglect, or truancy.  Like you, Minnesota’s child protection laws are concerned with ensuring the health, safety, and best interests of your child.

Among other goals, Minnesota child protection laws seek to:

  • “Preserve and strengthen the child’s family ties whenever possible and in the child’s best interests, removing the child from the custody of parents only when the child’s welfare or safety cannot be adequately safeguarded without removal.”
  • Ensure that “reasonable efforts have been made by the social services agency to reunite the child with the child’s parents in a home that is safe and permanent.”

If Child Protection has become involved in your life, you may not always feel that the investigators and social workers are working toward these goals. If so, you will need an attorney experienced in handling CHIPS matters to help you ensure that your children are returned safely to you and that the state does not overstep its bounds in handling your case.

Child Protection Services

While anyone may file a CHIPS Petition, they are typically filed by the County Attorney on behalf of Child Protection Services (CPS). A report of suspected abuse or neglect may lead to various actions taken by CPS. Typically, there will be an investigation into the allegations and, if CPS believes the allegations are true, filing of a CHIPS Petition in Juvenile Court. In most cases, CPS will help the family obtain—or seek a court order requiring the parents to obtain—counseling and other services the social worker deems advisable.  CPS will refer to this as your “Case Plan.”

In some cases, CPS will ask the juvenile court for an order removing  the child from the home for temporary placement in an emergency shelter or in foster care while the parents follow their case plan.  In rare cases, CPS may seek a “Termination of Parental Rights.” If successful, this legally terminates the parent-child relationship permanently and allows placement of the child in an adoptive home.

How Can We Help?

Facing child abuse or neglect charges can be devastating for the entire family.  As a parent, you may be frustrated, angry or afraid and not know where to turn.

If you are having difficulties with any matters pertaining to the Minnesota juvenile law and Child Protection Services, then it is important you speak with a qualified family law attorney right away.  Our experienced family law attorneys will fight to protect the best interests of your children and your rights as a parent. Contact Myles A. Schneider & Associates, Ltd. today at 763-315-1100 or by e-mail to schedule a free consultation.

Minneapolis CHIPS Attorneys and Child Protection Lawyers

Myles A. Schneider & Associates, Ltd. represent clients from throughout the areas of Minneapolis, St.Paul, MN or anywhere in the whole Twin Cities area – Saint Paul, MN Mpls, Anoka, Apple Valley, Andover, Blaine, Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Burnsville, Champlin, Chanhassen, Columbia Heights, Coon Rapids, Cottage Grove, Crystal, Eagan, Eden Prairie, Edina, Excelsior, Falcon Heights, Farmington,  Forest Lake, Fridley, Golden Valley, Hastings, Hopkins, Inver Grove Heights, Lake Elmo, Lakeville, Lino Lakes, Little Canada, Long Lake, Mahtomedi, Maple Grove, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Mounds View, New Hope, North St. Paul, Oakdale, Plymouth, Prior Lake, Richfield, Robbinsdale, Rogers, Rosemount, Roseville, St. Anthony, St. Louis Park, Savage, Shakopee, Shoreview, South St. Paul, Spring Lake Park, Stillwater, Vadnais Heights, West St. Paul, White Bear Lake, and Woodbury, MN – Minnesota.